Pages

12.13.2010

light in the darkness

the season of advent is upon us; we are right in the middle of it at this point, with the lighting of the 3rd candle this week.

advent is a time of waiting and anticipation.  there are many symbols associated with this season and time of preparation. 

each candle - 3 purple and one pink is lit each of the 4 weeks of the season. 

week one - a purple candle symbolizes hope.  week two - purple, symbolizes love.  week 3 - pink, symbolizes joy, and week 4 - purple, symbolizes peace.  the Christ candle - a white candle is lit on Christmas eve.  the lights of the candles themselves lend to an important symbol. the lights remind us that Jesus is the light of the world and that He comes into the darkness of our lives to bring newness, life, and hope.  appropriately, advent is typically the beginning of the church year.

i have been reading and studying a devotional during this advent season.  it's called Following the Staralthough the story is the same, each time i look at it something new is revealed to me, or made clearer.

today's scripture and reading was about mary going to visit with elizabeth shortly after they both received news of their pregnancies.  the first sentence of the devotion caught me "Where do we go when life seems upside down?"  as it goes on in the devotion it makes sense that mary went to elizabeth right away.  the angel told mary about elizabeth's miracle, she figured who else would understand her.  as you may know mary spent alot of time with elizabeth leading up to the Holy birth.

although i've heard this story many times i felt a connection with it today. "where do you go when life seems upside down?"  life for me has defiantly been upside down lately.  i have found comfort in a few places.  in conversations with God, and even conversation with my mom.  i've found comfort in my family and a few very good friends - like mary found comfort and strength in her relationship with elizabeth.  i'm also finding comfort in this season of advent - the lights remind me the He will bring me new life, hope, love, joy and peace.

o come, o come Emmanuel.

2 comments:

barbaranne said...

I love that devotional and I especially loved the one of which you wrote. It has always been a hope of mine that I would be that kind of a support...an "Elizabeth" support for my friends. I want to be.
I really enjoy your blog especially the 12 days because I have learned and I appreciate learning.

barbaranne said...

I love that devotional and I especially loved the one of which you wrote. It has always been a hope of mine that I would be that kind of a support...an "Elizabeth" support for my friends. I want to be.
I really enjoy your blog especially the 12 days because I have learned and I appreciate learning.